Ceramic versus porcelain floor tiles: which is better?
Factors to consider
When trying to decide if ceramic will be a better choice than porcelain, there are a lot of factors to consider, such as:
• Your budget
• The kind of room the floor is going into
• The amount of humidity/moisture the floor will be exposed to
• The variety of styles that are available
• The amount of traffic the flooring will get
Advantages and disadvantages of ceramic
Both ceramic and porcelain tiles are made from a mix of natural ingredients, such as refined clay and water. Then, the tiles are fired in a kiln to make them strong and durable. The process for each is slightly different, which is why ceramic and porcelain have different characteristics, as you’ll see below.
• Easier to cut than porcelain
• Easy to install
• Easy to customize
• Suitable for indoor use only
• Chips and cracks are highly visible because of interior colour differences
• More porous than porcelain
• Less durable than porcelain
Ceramic floor tiles are best suited to rooms with low traffic and minimal moisture, such as a spare bathroom or a storage room. We recommend hiring flooring installation experts from a trusted Calgary company to ensure the ceramic tiles are perfectly placed and properly sealed to prevent moisture from seeping between them.
Advantages and disadvantages of porcelain
Porcelain tiles are technically a sub-type of ceramic tiles. That being said, there are a few things that make porcelain unique:
• Translucent, easy to customize
• Density makes it highly durable
• Highly water and moisture resistant
• Well suited for high traffic areas
• More expensive than ceramic
• Indoor use only
• Requires professional equipment/expertise to cut
Porcelain absorbs less than 0.5 percent of the moisture it is exposed to, making it a great choice for bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms. It’s also well suited for use as a countertop because it’s resistant to both water and chipping.
If you’re looking for high-quality flooring options in Calgary, visit Nu-Way Floor Fashions. From helping you with the design process to sales and installation, we take care of all your residential and commercial flooring needs. Browse through the vast selection of flooring options in our Calgary showroom or contact us today to learn more about our products and services.